Monday, February 6, 2012

From Study to Teach

Up 'til now, almost all of my travel has been for study. I went to Egypt to study Arabic and Middle Eastern Politics and culture, and then I went to Chile to improve my Spanish. now, however, I'll be teaching.
While teaching and learning are certainly not opposites in my mind, it does definitely bring a new perspective to my travels, and that brings me to what I hope to learn this year: how to travel without being dependent on someone/ a program. Yes, I will be part of a school, where my boss will hopefully not throw me to the non-English speaking wolves, but In the past, all of my major travels have either been to places where I either speak the language or have a program or a good friend to help me along.
Going in to this, all I have is myself and a few people I've exchanged emails with. While I have certainly had some wild and unexpected travel experiences in the past, I have, in general, had either the language skills (for example, when I was robbed in Spain) or the personal support network (say, during the revolution in Cairo) to deal with it. 

I certainly hope that I will soon be making new friends in Korea, and that I will not be able to say for long that I have no support system there, but for now, the self-reliance I am forcing myself into is my giant learning hurdle at present. I think it will be a great learning experience.




This has been week three of Bootsnall's challenge, prompt:
Have you ever studied or taken classes on a trip? What did you study, and perhaps more importantly, what did you learn while on that trip? What would you like to learn on your travels this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment