Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Foodums

Sep 8, 2010 4:09 PM
Now that aim basically caught up on my day to day blogging, I wanted to take some time to comment on some differences between what I am used to and where I presently am. Some of what I am used to is Tulane, some of it is from home,but wherever it is from I have surely experiences many differences here. The first thing that I would like to comment on is the food. I've been having some difficulty getting used to the food here in Egypt for several reasons.
The first, of course, is that my stomach is not used to it. Most of the time what I eat does not bother me very much but I was surprised to be sick after eating at McDonalds several days ago. It was the fist time I had actually felt ill after eating something since being here, and I was taken aback that this wasn't even middle eastern cuisine, it was McDonalds. For the record I have since eaten at McDonalds and I was fine.
The second thing I am having trouble with is the lack of vegetables. I have had so much chicken, so much rice, so much hummus and pita, so many French fries, so many pizzas, but hardly any vegetables. Even when you ardor a pizza with vegetables, half the time they forget to put on one of the vegetables. For example the other day I went to Tabasco (the main place to eat here most of the time) and ordered an Ai Broccoli pizza, which is supposed to have chicken, peppers, onions and broccoli. Yeah... there was no broccoli.come on people, broccoli is in the name of the pizza, for chrissakes. This is not the first time something like this has happened with my pizza, and it is always a vegetable that I forget.
The third thing is just the cuisine in general. Things are cooked differently, served differently, eaten differently, And none of this is a bad thing, I actually quite enjoy most of it, but it just takes some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment